Neuro Linguistic Programming
NLP is well known for it’s applications in the field of therapy and counselling but there are many other areas in which NLP can be applied.
NLP is essentially about behavioural modelling which means that any task or skill done well (or excellently) can be decoded and replicated so that others can learn to do the same skill or task. It’s this aspect of NLP (the modelling) that means NLP is so widely applied. NLP is often referred to as a meta-discipline (or an approach that informs many approaches).
Dr Richard Bandler who is widely regarded as the Co-Founder of NLP defines NLP as ‘an attitude and methodology that leaves behind a trail of techniques’.
A more formal definition would look something like this:
Neuro: Our nervous system, brain/mind and how that interacts with the body.
Linguistic: The words and language we use. Language can be verbal and non verbal.
Programming: Is the habits of thought (often unconscious) that lead to habits of behaviour. By discovering these with NLP you can then decide whether they work well for you or lead you to be unhappy and unfulfilled. This places you in a great position of CHOICE about whether you would like to change them.
NLP can be applied in the following areas:
This information has been gathered from the Australian Board of Neuro Linguistic Programming.
- Counselling, coaching and therapy to accelerate changes with clients by looking at the processes that underlie a particular pattern, emotion or habit.
- Education and training to promote and accelerate learning and memory. NLP is also a valuable tool when it comes to training and teaching design methods.
- Personal development to remove negative emotions and patterns and promote confidence and self esteem. NLP also has tremendous applications in goal setting.
- Business to promote good communication and negotiation strategies including sales and management skills.
- Sport to enhance performance.
- Parenting learning how to foster good, clear communication with your children right from the start.
- Communication to acquire excellent communication skills.